Wednesday 12 February 2014

Colin - Marine Recon


Marine Recon

Well here is my first update:

USMC Force RECON
The mission of Force RECON is to conduct amphibious reconnaissance, deep ground reconnaissance, surveillance, battle space shaping, and limited scale raids in support of the Marine Expeditionary Force (MEF), other Marine air-ground task forces, or a joint force.

US Marine Reconnaissance units are tasked with providing the commander of a larger force of Marines with information about his operational area. Their missions usually focus on specific information requirements, which due to their changing or unique nature, cannot be obtained by means other than putting a man on the ground to observe and report.



Recon Marines are, by nature, capable of independent action in support of the larger unit's mission.

When starting to research anything, I used to hit the books and read everything I can get my hands on. Now I narrow my research first with Google and Wikipedia. Yes I know it’s sometimes unreliable but it’s a great start.

I then jump onto YouTube because there is nothing better than real footage.



So this is what I found from wiki:

Historically, the Force Recon companies, detachments and platoons performed both deep reconnaissance and direct action (DA) operations. Some missions are now shared by the Marine Special Operations Teams (MSOT), due to the establishment of the U.S. Marine Special Operations Command (MARSOC) in 2006.

Deep reconnaissance is where I want to go with these guys. 

Now our resident former marine tells me that the Boonie hats are out but I am not sure I can bring myself to go for the whole team wearing helmets. Especially as I like the Eureka team so much.



The majority of pics on Google still show the Boonie see example a.



 But there is no doubt Adam knows what he is talking about and I have found these:

 So figures wise I will be using Eureka’s Marines and I will just have to speak nicely to some of the guys here about some small alterations. I am sure I can persuade some one to help me.

So this is what I am after so far all from Eureka:


So that's a start, obviously more to come, it looks like RECON is popular they even make Actionman/GI Joe figures.

Semper Fi people.

1 comment:

  1. Hey mate good start! I like both sets of those Eureka minis. I did too especially like the Recon team in boonies with large rucks. Brings back memories. Note the pictures show M4 carbines without scope rails etc. so pre-2003 at the latest.
    As I stated before, nearly everyone is wearing helmets at all times when on operations. Unlike in WW2 helmets these days can stop some bullets that combined with direct orders gets the job done.
    With the heavy casualties sustained over the years in Operation Enduring Freedom even most Special Operations Forces wear vests as well as helmets much of the time.

    The Marines use a hybrid of Army and Navy style acronyms. The Army uses the first letter of each word and the Navy uses up to three, whichever looks cooler.;-)
    Recon is not an acronym so is not all caps.
    A Force Recon Company would be FORRECCO for ex.
    Here is an article about some valor awards.
    http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/article/20110717/NEWS/107170314/Valor-awards-mount-up-little-known-battle

    There is definitely some DRP stuff going on but no information. See Lone Survivor if you want to know why they're very cautious about it!

    Battalion Recon Marines are called Recon, Force Recon guys are called Force guys basically.
    I'm a "former Marine" by the way.;-)

    ReplyDelete